Monday, June 30, 2008

Quick, Henry, The Flit!

I was sitting here thinking of my grandmother relaxing in her rocker and reciting this verse to me.

"Little Fly upon the wall,
Ain't you got no shame at all?
Ain't you got no petti skirt?
Ain't you cold?"

One I liked even more began with "Won't you come into my parlor, said the spider to the fly?" Who can forget getting her hair caught in a hanging fly strip or setting something down on a piece of flypaper lying on the table? An old proverb says that flies have their virtues but it's a bit hard to believe. I suppose they were put on this earth for some reason. Perhaps they carry pollen from one plant to another as bees do. Some flies are used by scientists in the study of heredity.

The World Book Encyclopedia states that flies are among the most dangerous pests known to man. They carry germs inside their bodies or in the hair on the body. Touching an object, they leave many germs behind. Each female fly can have as many as one thousand newborn a year. So - "Shoo, Fly, don't bother me."

When I was a child, my brothers, sisters and myself used to earn extra pocket money by swatting flies which had managed to get into the house. I heard of a customer in a restaurant who called the waitress over to his table and said, "There's a fly in here that's annoying me." The waitress immediately answered, "Just show me which one it is and I'll have it put out!"

I guess if you didn't already know, you have probably figured out that a flit was part of a popular advertisment for a spray canister you pumped to spray flys.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Hi from Kentucky! I was blog hopping and stopped to read yours. I found the post about the fly very interesting and I can just picture your chicken all dressed up in her finest! What a great entry. I will be back to see what else you write in the future!!

Connie said...

Hi Judy, Thanks for your comment. I have just finished reading your blogs and very much enjoyed them. I, too, am interested in local history and have written and self published a book called "Stuff and Things You Really Don't Need to Know." It contains interesting but not commonly known facts about many small towns and communities in the Finger Lakes Area of New York State. I have also written four other books about the Good Old Days and how things were when I was young compared to today.

I live with my daughter and we have a yard of gardens with grass pathways between them. We love to watch the birds and butterflies and will be posting pictures of the gardens soon.

Again, I enjoyed reading your blogs and will post further comments on them shortly. Thanks, Ginny

Lori said...

Don't they come from Maggots ? Yuck!
I will now pick up the backyard daily!
Thanks Ginny !
I am almost done with "When I was Your Age." I LOVE IT!!!!

Lori said...

I am waiting for another story....
No pressure.. I have patience.