Monday, July 7, 2008

The Party Line

Hi Friends,
It's very hot today - almost 90 degrees. I should be doing something - anything... but it's sooooooo hot.
The phone rang a short time ago while I was watching "Seventh Heaven." At that moment I could see who was calling in the upper left corner of the TV screen. How times have changed. In my early childhood, one of my closest friends lived next door. Whenever we were "confined to quarters" - we rigged up our own private telephone line - a long string with an empty tin can at each end. Of course, we talked to each other in loud voices and our bedroom windows were open, but we liked to think that our phones worked.
A few years later, we had real phones installed in our homes. They were the 1882 version of wall phones with a hand-held receiver and a crank to signal the operator. I believe our number was one long ring and two short ones.
Back then, almost everyone was on a party line. When the phone rang, those sharing the line would hear it and often listen in, sometimes joining in the conversation. It was great for keeping up on the latest gossip. The difference between gossip and news depends on whether you hear it or tell it. Gossip is ear pollution. Bosford said, "Old gossips are usually young flirts gone to seed."
Some people used to say that the three fastest forms of communication are telephones, telegraph and tell a woman. H.W. Shaw said, "Old maids sweeten their tea with scandal."

A careless word may kindle strife;
A cruel word may wreck a life.
A bitter word may hate instill.
A brutal word may smite and kill.

A gracious word may smooth the way,
A joyous word may light the day.
A timely word may lessen stress.
A loving word may heal and bless

Today's telephones are too varied to even discuss. They do everything but the laundry and dishes. But then, tomorrow is another day...

6 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Ginny, I had not thought about party lines for years. When my children were young, we lived on a farm and was on a 10 party line. What a mess! We heard 4 rings besides our own. That phone was ringing all the time. I love the poem. How true it is!

Lori said...

Okay, let me explain Ketchup. I pronounce it katchup.Like "catch up." I am going to blame my Mom. She is from RI.
As for your post today, I remember being fustrated as a child. When are they going to hang up? I need to call my friend. A lesson in wait your turn. Something that is gone for children of today?????
What do you want to play?
Take care in this heat.

Lori said...

A flimsy is a quilt top without batting or backing yet.

Lori said...

Where should I go this week?
Granger Homestead
Sonnenberg (sp?)
where Roseland use to be

I will take pictures. Then I thought..You can share some research/stories.Then I will link
our blogs together.How does this sound?

Connie said...

You definitely want to go to Sonnenberg Gardens for their moonlight walk Friday evening. There will be music and you can walk thru the gardens and see the moon flowers blooming. I can hardly wait.

Dick said...

Ginny -
You commented on my BLOG which is about the Good Old Days in my memory. Thanks for that. Because you did I now have your BLOG on my Favorite Places and will visit you often.
Dick Moore
www.MooreTheBetter.blogspot.com