Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Good Old Days

One of the best things I remember about my childhood was licking the paddle when our folks made homemade ice cream. They even let us crank the handle awhile, but of course we soon tired of that.

In the late Twenties, my brother, Bob, was one of the boys who took turns pumping the organ at church. (Our father was a minister.) When the boys started daydreaming and stopped pumping, the music would suddenly cease.We sat in the choir loft with a heavy curtain half-way up in the front of us and passed notes back and forth.

I remember the old swimming hole and what fun we had there. Only a few of the kids had bathing suits and the rest of us wore our clothes in the water. We especially like to play with a large inner tube from a tractor tire. I also had a nice set of water wings.

We built tree-houses and had contests to see which one of us would stay in his or her house the longest. Cupboards were roughly made of boxes and nailed in the tree-house. These held snacks and books. A few years ago, I read of a child's tree-house being assessed in California and his parents had to pay taxes on it. We don't see them much anymore.

"The good old days were days I could master.
The pace was slower, and I was faster."

3 comments:

Lori said...

Guess where I want to go today?
I think, I need more plants? I have to keep up with the garden over the fence.

PS. Don't tell Jeff. *giggle*

Dick said...

I lived with my grandparents from my age 8 to 15. Grandpa was a minister like your dad. So I grew up in a minister's home too. Grandpa outlived three wives. He passed on at 101 years and 11 months. Great health up to his last 30 days. My heritage!

Judy said...

I remember turning the crank on the ice cream freezer. My dad raised strawberries and we always had to add some to the ice cream. It was so good. Wish I had some now. We used to make snow cream, too.